Senior Clinical Academic Positions
Senior clinical academic positions are a next step after a clinical lectureship.
When you have conducted some post-doctoral research and completed your specialist training, you will be able to apply for positions such as senior clinical lectureships and clinician scientist posts. Senior clinical lecturer posts give you honorary consultant status whilst you follow your chosen line of research.
A number of bodies fund senior positions such as these. They include:
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Wellcome Trust
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- Academy of Medical Sciences
- Arthritis Research Campaign
- British Heart Foundation
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Cancer Research UK (CRUK)
- Parkinson's Disease Society
- The Stroke Association
See also AMRC's Directory of Medical Research Charities.
More information about careers
For accounts of how senior clinical academics have developed their career:
- view profiles of our senior academics
- visit Women in Science, which features video interviews with many Oxford clinical academics, including professors Eleanor Barnes, Barbara Casadei, Alison Halliday, and Helen McShane.
Photo credit: Oxford Medical Illustration